Low Carb Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower is seriously underrated! This low carb (5g per 100g) vegetable is versatile, delicious and nutritious. It’s packed with vitamin C and also contains vitamins K and B6, potassium, fiber, thiamin, magnesium, riboflavin, niacin and folate.
So many people think that the only way to prepare cauliflower is to boil or steam it. Bo-ring! There is so much more to this little ball of nourishment and cauliflower rice is only one way to enjoy it.
This particular version I made with egg (don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!), but you can leave it out if you prefer a vegan option.
This Low Carb Cauliflower egg rice, or cauli-egg-rice for short, is definitely a tribute to my Dad’s egg rice. He has this habit of going into the kitchen and throwing whatever is available together and usually coming up with some or other interesting combination…like egg rice!
So, like my Dad, I love to experiment with food and flavours. It’s really fun making things up as I go along. And so that is how I arrived at this delicious dish low carb cauliflower rice dish.
Low Carb Cauliflower Rice is a delicious, healthy addition to any meal, and it is so easy to make.
The fact that I am also a lazy cook makes this a simple, quick task that anyone can do. I always cook for two, so please double or triple the ingredients if necessary.
See the vegan options in brackets.
Ingredients for low carb caulifower rice:
- Half of a small cauliflower head, grated
- 2 fresh cloves of garlic, chopped
- Half of a white onion, chopped
- Butter (vegan option: coconut oil)
- One large egg (vegan options: tofu or flaked raw almonds – you can also just leave the egg out)
Instructions for low carb caulifower rice:
- Heat a tablespoon or two of butter or coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the garlic and then the onion for 2 – 4 minutes
- Stir in the grated cauliflower a little at a time and turn the heat down to medium, while still stirring – I always use a wooden spatula so as not to damage the frying pan
- Add some more butter if you like (I love loads of butter)
- Add the egg and mix in quickly
- Add salt to taste, mix
- Serve. Enjoy
More ideas for your Low Carb Cauliflower Rice:
Experiment with spices such as turmeric or mustard, or add some freshly chopped herbs (like parsley or chillies) to your low carb cauliflower rice. Another great idea is to cook in some chopped spinach or kale. This ups the nutrition value and gets in those all important greens.
Serve as a side dish or with a savoury sauce.
Getting creative in the kitchen with healthy and nutritious meals is a great way of winding down.
Spend time focusing on yourself instead of struggling to decide what to eat, when to eat, and how to eat it. Get the low down on exactly what you can eat to lose weight and enjoy a healthy and energized lifestyle. Check out The Fat Burning Kitchen.
You might like these related posts: